23 Mar Be Honest To Yourself
“I don’t have time to exercise.” One of the most common statements made. The reality is that most people do have time, but they don’t make it a priority. Do you really not have time or is your priority keeping up with Dancing With the Stars, American Idol and Gray’s Anatomy? One of the keys to improving yourself is being able identify what is important, prioritize your life around it, and follow through with integrity. Whether you are an athlete striving to take your game to the next level, someone looking to lose weight, or an individual who desires improving their general health, the philosophy is the same: it is important to be honest about your level of effort, your dietary choices, your consistency, what your strengths and weaknesses are, etc.
Here are a few suggestions I have found helpful:
- Write Your Goals – Be specific: How will you know when you have achieved it?
- Break It Into Smaller Steps – Smaller achievements can assist in making sure your are doing the right things little-by-little. This is also helpful in keeping you motivated as you can see progress.
There is a saying in marathons, 'You don't run 26 miles. You run 1 mile 26 times.'
- Hire A Personal Trainer (Of course I’m going to suggest this!)- Having the accountability of a trainer is important for many people. Simply by the fact they are spending the money on a trainer forces people to make it a priority.
- Keep A Food Journal – This makes your much more conscious of what your are eating, when, & how much. This keeps you honest about what you are really taking in.
- Keep An Exercise Journal – Same as the food journal. There is no embellishing on your effort. You can see increase in reps, weight, duration, frequency, etc. I recently began using a GPS watch in my training…can you say “reality check”. There is no guessing/estimating about how far and fast my trainings are.
It’s our natural tendency to round up our effort level, round down our calorie intake and down play our availability to train. Be honest to yourself, utilize the tools above and it will keep you on track to reaching your fitness goals.